Saturday, February 2, 2008

"One word says it all...'beautiful'"

This is how I will always remember President Hinckley -- laughing and enjoying life with his dear companion Marjorie Pay Hinckley. What a beautiful couple, and inspiration to us all...and yes, beautiful!

We had the wonderful opportunity this afternoon to watch the funeral services for our dear Prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley. He left a legacy that will not, and could not, be forgotten. I marveled as I watched the service at how much good one person can have on the entire world. The truly amazing part is that, despite the millions of lives he touched, each person felt it personally (at least I did). I was moved at the memories and stories shared about him and his goodness during his life of church service and dedication to his family, and began to reflect on the impact he has had on my life personally. Feel free to read on or skip right over, but I felt such gratitude that I wanted to share these precious memories (with a disclaimer that some of these experiences show my definite imperfections and knowing that I have since repented).


1. As a freshman at BYU I remember attending a fireside at the Marriott Center where President Hinckley spoke. Everyone remembers, I'm sure that talk on piercings, tatoos, and raves. I had at the time multiple piercings and admit that my initial reaction was that President Hinckley was an old fashioned man. I was keeping the standards of the church and saw no need to remove my extra earrings -- so I didn't. I remember reading my scriptures one evening and came across the verse in 1 Nephi 3:6 that talks about how Nephi didn't murmur against his father. The foot note for not murmuring says "Sustaining Church Leaders". I was overcome with emotion as I realized my error. I loved President Hinckley and had a testimony of his divine call. However, I realized that I had raised my hand to sustain him, and yet my actions were contrary to that. Amid tears, I remember taking earrings out and finally realizing what it meant to sustain a prophet. My testimony of President Hinckley as the Prophet called of God for that time was strengthened and I will forever be grateful for the chastising hand of a loving Father in Heaven.


2. This next experience took place on my mission. I asked to meet with my mission president with the hopes of being able to extend my missionary service an extra transfer. President Crouch, a wonderful and inspired man, sat me down and I asked for an extension. I distinctly remember our conversation, which went something like this:

"Sister Smith, who signed your mission call?"

"President Hickley did."

"Who called President Hinckley as the Prophet?"

"The Lord did."

"So in essence, who is it that really called you?"

"The Lord."

"Do you really want to second guess the timing of the Lord Sister Smith?"

Needless to say, I returned home on my original scheduled date, but my testimony of prophets, and President Hinckley, was taken to a new level that day. I realized more fully that the prophet truly is called to speak on behalf of the Lord, literally. What a blessing to have a living mouthpiece for the Lord on the earth, and what a tragedy that more people don't have that knowledge. I guess the pressure is on us more than ever now to share it with the world.


3. This was a story about President Hinckley I learned while serving my mission on Temple Square. I was serving in the Beehive house and in Brigham Young's bedroom is a can and hat. I think there were actually multiple canes but I can't remember for sure. Anyway, when it came time for President Hinckley to start using a cane, he had one specially made. During the time it was being crafted, he asked to use Brigham Young's cane, saying that "if it was good enough for him it will be good enough for me." What a sweet and humble man who never put himself above others and always treated everyone with equal love and respect!


The list could go on and on, but I fear I have lost all readers by now so I will wrap up my thoughts with this line from one of the songs sung at his funeral (written by President Hinckley). It says, "Let hope and faith transcendent bloom". That was President Hinckley's wish for each one of us and I will do my best to follow his counsel, and the counsel of all the worthy men God calls to lead us in these last days.

3 comments:

Aly said...

Thank you for sharing your memories and testimony of President Hinckley. His life and legacy is definetly something for us all to aspire too. I will definitely miss him but know that he is so happy!

Diane said...

I loved this post, Lacey. Especially the part about how he touched millions of people, yet we felt it personally. How true.
And I loved your memories. Thanks!

Melissa said...

What a great tribute to him~I loved reading it.

In honor of the Olympcs, and in preparation for sept. 25...we bring you Dwight Shrute!