Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day, and Happy Birthday!

I wanted to take a minute and tell a few of my favorite mom's how much they mean to me. First...

My own dear mother. I hardly know what to say, or where to begin. I struggle to manage two darling little children (and keep the house clean -- which, let's face it, I have a lot of room for improvement), so I have no idea how she managed to do it all with EIGHT kids. Not just any eight kids, but the eight of US. What's even more impressive, is that she did it with a smile. Mom, you have been one of my greatest examples of sacrifice. You always put your kids needs and wants above your own, and never complained. NEVER. I tried really hard to recall a time when you raised your voice with us, but couldn't think of a single time. So mom, for your sweet kindness and unconditional love, I thank you. From the bottom of my heart. I know it doesn't do what you have done for me justice, but I love you. A lot.

Next, I have to take a minute and brag on the world's greatest mother-in-law, whom I consider just another mom to me. I didn't have the opportunity to grow up with you as a mother, but Ryan has shared with me all of the good you did as a mother for your own dear three children. Kudos to you on the work you did with Ryan. He is who he is today in large part to you. You laid the foundation for his testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ, which is the greatest gift any mother can give a child. For the past 3 1/2 years of our marriage you have been our full time "researcher" on anything and everything and have probably saved us hundreds of dollars :). I can tell that you spend your time thinking about your children and what you can do to help them in whatever situation they may be in. Most importantly, I can tell you love your children, and I know that you love me. Thank you for raising such a wonderful man to be the love of my life and father to our beautiful children. What a strong and loving woman you are! Thank you! I love you too. A lot.



And to all you other moms out there...keep up the good work, for it truly is the greatest, and most important, work in the world! HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

And of course, how could I post on my mother's today and not wish my own dear father a happy birthday, because TODAY is indeed your birthday. Dad, you also had a wonderful mother who has helped to turn you into the man you are today. So thank you grandma for giving me a wonderful father. Dad, I just wanted to tell you how much I love you for who you are and how you have helped me to become who I am. I have so many fond memories with you, but I'll just list a few.
1. Christmas shopping for mom's gift every year. Remember the one year the sensors went off at the bookstore when we were leaving? I do :).
2. I remember you taking me to store to buy ice cream one night, only to discover that your real reason for going was to give someone a pass-a-long card. That was one of the greatest preparations for my mission.
3. I remember you stopping by the hospital after Eva was born. No one else was there, it was just the three of us. It was so nice to spend some time with just you there.
So dad, on your birthday, just know that I love you just as much as I do mom. A lot!

6 comments:

Every Star Is Different said...

You have a wonderful family.

Cam and Mary said...

Happy Mother's Day Lacey!

tracyp said...

So sweet Lacey! Happy Mother's day to you!

Melissa said...

Beautiful tributes, Lacey! Please don't remind me of the never raising your voice part and never complaining parts. I need to be more like her....Happy late Mother's Day!

kelly said...

oh shoot lacey lenahan you brought a tear to my eye and made me smile. you mother, you:)

Kemp and Whitney said...

hey! I was hoping I could get your address from you. Here's my email WhitneyLGoodwin@gmail.com.

In honor of the Olympcs, and in preparation for sept. 25...we bring you Dwight Shrute!